Today I had to reinstall my Linux installation because my harddisk died a quick dead. While configuring all the software I use to develop I got some weird error after I’d installed rbenv and tried to execute bundle install on one of our projects.
The following error was raised when I tried to install capybara-webkit
Installing capybara-webkit (0.10.1) with native extensions
Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
sh: qmake: not found
Gem files will remain installed in /home/manuel/.rbenv/versions/1.9.3-p125/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/capybara-webkit-0.10.1 for inspection.
Results logged to /home/manuel/.rbenv/versions/1.9.3-p125/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/capybara-webkit-0.10.1/./gem_make.out
An error occured while installing capybara-webkit (0.10.1), and Bundler cannot continue.
Make sure that `gem install capybara-webkit -v '0.10.1'` succeeds before bundling.
I first thought there were some problems with make or cmake because that’s what the error says. qmake: not found, but that didn’t seem to be te real problem.
After some googlefoo I found out that I was missing the libqtwebkit-dev package. So the problem in this case was easily resolved by running: